Tuesday, October 14, 2014

People Are Waiting, and They Are Ready!

Hey all!!

So we just came from an amazing lesson and I'm super excited to share it with y'all!! We tracted into this girl name Crystal probably like two weeks ago and she said we could come back a different day so we set up an appointment and came back and she wasn't there. So we left her a note saying sorry we missed her and told her to call us when she got the note. We were actually in her apartment complex when she got home and we saw that she got the note but she didn't call and we figured she wasn't going to. More of a 'pretended to be interested to be nice' kind of thing that happens all too often. But then a couple of days ago she called!! She said we could come back this afternoon so we just went over after our district meeting and it was AWESOME! Oh my goodness, the Spirit was there as we were teaching and she was very interested. In the middle of the lesson she was like: "Wait, are y'all Mormons?" Nervously we said yes and she was like "Oh ok!!" She's met elders in the past and they left a good impression and she loved how happy they were and she was even more excited to hear what else we had to share after she found out we were Mormon. She really just loved everything we shared and you could tell it made her happy. We invited her to be baptized and she said yes. We're going back tomorrow to share the Book of Mormon with her so we'll see if we can set a for-sure date, but hopefully it will be in November! In her prayer she thanked the Lord for sending "two angels" to her at this time. Oh my the Spirit was just so strong because of her sincerity. I love teaching people like her! And oh my gosh-ok something I think is so cool. So, because Christmas is coming up and we are working with people to come unto Christ and be baptized, we want to have baptisms close to Christmas so we can have a WHITE Christmas--isn't that so fun?? There may not be snow here, but we can still do it. It will be so pretty!! Seriously I hope we can have baptisms take place that week I think it would be the coolest thing.

Also this week we met this wonderful woman named Charlene. She's an older Black woman that lives in a pretty run-down trailer. The inside is just packed with the most random things. We've taught her twice and the first time it was on her porch and it was such a great lesson. She loved the message of the Restoration and she offered the closing prayer and thanked Heavenly Father for answering her prayer and sending us two girls to help her. She accepted the invitation to be baptized and then we went back last night to give her a Book of Mormon. We went inside the trailer that time and it was just full of stuff. Piles of dishes, dolls, stuffed animals, books, papers, and CATS. She has 15 cats--baby kittens up to adults. And she has a dog. And you know how much of an animal person I am.... man. The whole time as they're rubbing up on us I was just thinking 'I already got ringworm from a cat I don't even know when and I don't need any more things like that!' I think we're good though. Hopefully. We began reading the Book of Mormon with her and we were just cruising. We stopped after a couple of chapters but I can't wait to go back and see how much she's read :) 

It was just so amazing to see these miracles happen after what was a pretty uneventful and a little tough week. Sunday Sister Richardson and I were like "what are we even going to write home to our families??" It was just a harder week. And after two amazing weeks in a row I guess things had to balance out. Haha. But we've had a great past few days and we are just loving being missionaries. I really do love these three missionary scriptures:

St Luke 22:32 Christ is praying for us, that our faith will not fail, and we need to strengthen those around us.

Doctrine and Covenants 31:3 The time is now to share this joyous message! Nothing will ever bring someone such great happiness as the gospel. 

3 Nephi 5:13 For I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God! We have a responsibility. The best one ever! 

I really do just love being a missionary. The perspective we are able to have, that comes from the knowledge of the gospel, is so amazing. I am really seeing what happens when people lose sight of the 'big picture' and God's eternal view of things. From working with less-active members I know that I never want to lose sight of how amazing the gospel is and what great things it brings to our lives. I know it is real, and that the Atonement is real. Through it we can do all things. We really have to endure life-but endure it well and endure it joyfully! I've seen depression hit some of our less-active members and it's destroying all of their progress. I know that if they will make the commitment to live the gospel and keep moving forward, that Satan will have no power over them. Things will get better. They will be alright in the end. "If it's not ok, it's not the end." "Keep moving forward. Those who do with happy hearts will find that things always work out." -President Gordon B. Hinckley. 

Oh my goodness I can't forget Skyla and Willie!! We had fast Sunday this past one because of General Conference on the 5th and we united with Willie to fast and pray about him getting baptized on November 8th. We really came together and he just has a couple of concerns that I know can be resolved soon. We're hoping and praying he will act on the answer he got to get baptized. Hopefully November 8th.

And then Skyla! We had set her baptism date for November 1st but after going over last night there were a few conflicts and we have bumped it up to October 30th. We're praying Sister Richardson doesn't get transferred so she can see! Actually we're trying to to pray for that-every time I pray for a companion to stay Heavenly Father moves them. Haha. But still! Fingers crossed! Skyla is nervous but still sooo excited!! I can't wait. She's 23 and has three beautiful children. Eventually I will take a picture with them so you guys can see! 

And one last thing-I guess this week had more than I thought :) We had dinner with Edgar, Elizabeth and Joey! They are so sweet. I guess Edgar was super excited for us to come over and was just waiting by the window for a long time. Joey showed up at our house because we were running a little late and asked if we wanted a ride. We were cooking the texas toast and said we'd be over in just a few but oh man, he's so funny. A little different and we love it!  They kept telling us to eat and I literally thought I was going to explode. We had chili and salad and texas toast and then a lot of dessert. And then they sent us home with all the extras... they're the best. And I even ate stuffed clam (gross). I ate it will huge spoonfuls of chili, hahaha. I love their family. We found out Elizabeth is very interested in Family History so we found our 'in' with her! She's sort of open to our message but I think this will really help with that. We're going to baptize a 92 year old woman! Sweetest lady, I can't wait! :) 

Alright, I think that about covers it for the week.... I love it here and I love all the progress we're making! God is definitely with us and we are seeing miracles every day. I hope you all are also seeing miracles in your own lives! Try writing down three miracles of the day every night before you go to sleep, I promise you'll notice God's hand in your life more. It'll make you happier too. And who doesn't want to be happy? The gospel is the only true source, I can testify of that!

I love you all so much and I hope you have a spectacular week!! 

Love,
Sister Applegate

Lurner, Hannah, and I (Lurner is the one who gave me the sign language discs)

Sister Richardson, Hannah and I. I think Hannah is more interested than Lurner but we are still so excited about both! Hannah is 18 so she can choose to be baptized on her own if she wants. 

Charlene and I Sunday night when we met her! Had to get a picture with her Dora bandana on, haha. She's so cute. I'll have to do better taking pictures with the people we're teaching though so y'all can see them. But this is Charlene! :) 



Check out this sign giving directions to a church. Would you want to go to a church whose sign is on a headstone? I don't know how excited I'd be... haha

Quote I liked at one of our investigator's houses




No comments:

Post a Comment