Thursday, June 4, 2015

Sacrifice Brings Blessings

Hey Everyone!!!

Yesterday we got the news of Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles passing, and it was so sad!!! What an amazing man. We are definitely praying for his family but as our mission president said in his letter to us today, it was probably a happy graduation for him. He's still helping us beyond the veil.

Hearing about Elder Perry was a sad ending to our week, but I do have to tell you we had a great week!!! Hard, but good! Sister Walker is a stellar missionary and we had a lot of success. We stretched ourselves and we worked harder than I ever have maybe, but we reached 8/9 of our goals once more. On my mission I've really learned the importance of setting goals, and achieving them! I feel like throughout most of my life I've known what I wanted and reached for it (school, mission, etc) but the mission has taught me so much more. Every effort is worth it a million times over. Set goals for yourself and strive to reach them, that's what this life is all about! :)

I think it was Tuesday night, man, best night ever! So we missed a call from a number I didn't recognize and the voicemail notification hadn't popped up so I called the number back. I said it was the sister missionaries and that we had missed a call and the man on the other end was like "hello sister missionaries, my name is Chris Cartmell, sorry for calling, I was trying to reach the elders. One of them served here and I wanted to tell him I'm preparing to go to the temple." AHHHHHHHH!!!!! I got so excited!!!! I was like "Chris Cartmell?!?! Are you serious???!!! Do you have any idea who you're talking to?!" and he was like "who am I talking to?" and I was like "SISTER APPLEGATE!!!!" Oh that was a joyous reunion!!! Hahahahaha. Another missionary gave him our number and he was trying to reach the elder that just got transferred into our ward, the one who was in Albany when I gave Chris's brother the Albany elders' number. Does that make sense?  Haha. Anyway, we connected again! Oh my goodness there are no coincidences!!!! So I got that chance to talk to Chris Cartmell for a few minutes and hear the best news ever-that he is going to the temple. Soooo awesome! He gave me and that elder a lot of the credit in his coming back to the church and I know it was really all the Lord, but the Lord has allowed me to be a part of this incredible experience! :) I was so happy. I AM so happy! :) Brother Cartmell said how he and his brother from Waynesboro would have to go somewhere sometime and "just happen to drive through Warner Robins" and "just happen to end up at the same restaurant as me and my companion." Hahaha. Shhhh :) Wow the gospel is so cool. Out of all the numbers and all the places, once again I was connected to Brother Cartmell. That doesn't just happen. God is so COOL!
This week was also really cool because there is a recent convert we are working with named Brother Ramsey. About a month after he got baptized he relapsed with smoking and has been struggling ever since. The elder who worked the most with him, I talked to him at transfers and he said that he would always be on Brother Ramsey's back--he would call him as he was leaving for work and on all his breaks. So, we told him we would do the same thing. We truly want to help. Here's the kicker though... he leaves for work a little before 4 am. Yikes... Haha. So Sister Walker and I have set an alarm and have been waking up every morning at 3:55 am and calling him. I didn't think it would make a big difference seeing that we would only be awake for like 2 minutes at the most before we could go back to sleep, but MAN!!! I am so TIRED! Hahaha. All the time! I can't believe how much it really has taken out of me. And I feel bad for Sister Walker because this was her first week so she's already exhausted and then we added this. But, sacrifice brings blessings!!! We will seriously do all in our power to help Brother Ramsey, we know he can do it! Pray for him and his family please! If he quits soon he can go to the temple with his sweet wife at the end of this month or next month sometime. And how great is it to be sealed as a family? Nothing tops that!!

We're teaching some really awesome people, and six of them came to church yesterday! That's the most I've ever had at church my entire mission. It was a super cool experience. And with our efforts this week, yeah we reached goals we set for ourselves, but I truly believe we helped a lot of people come closer to Christ this week. Just fantastic. :) All I can say is that things are going well and the Gospel is the reason why. Please don't ever take it for granted, it is far too precious. Magnify your callings, whether you have one with a formal title or not. We all have callings as members and as children of God. 

Proverbs 17:22 "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine." This day, this week, this month, forever-choose to be HAPPY! It's the best choice :) "You can either laugh or cry your way through life. I prefer to laugh--crying gives me a headache." -Marjorie Pay Hinckley :) 

I love you guys! Miss you, and I hope y'all are doing wonderfully! Congrats to Jaycee for graduating seminary this past week, and on your upcoming graduation from high school this Thursday!! Woohoo!!!! So awesome. Proud of all you guys, keep it up! 

"Be where you are."

Until next week,
Sister Kaylee Applegate :)
 
 
Last picture of goals. Haha. I didn't really take pictures this week though and I wanted to send something....

This is a great sign to describe the South. My, my... hahaha. I love it!

I wish I did take more pics this week, sorry! I'll try to be better next week. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment